When in 1901 the office of mayor in Mülheim had been
separated from the administrative district Mülheim,
a change to the statute of the synagogue
municipality of Mülheim was made. Because only a few
Jewish citizens lived there, the administrative
district intended no separation in two groups
because from 56 Jewish citizens only 12 male ones
contributed to the cult costs.
On May 12th 1902 the new statute was resolved – in
dependence to the statute of the synagogue
municipality in Cologne-Ehrenfeld; included was the
decision that the synagogue from now on will be
called „synagogue to Zündorf“. Further it was
determined that the synagogue municipality had to
elect a synagogue director who should be the
representative of the particular synagogue. It must
not be any, but a local person. The directorate and
the members of the representative's meeting (among
others, two people from Zündorf) signed this statute.
After long negotiations it was signed by the
president of the rhine-province on the November 3rd
1902; it came into effect on the January 1st 1903.
Primarily the Cologne
government decided that the Jewish
school-age-children had to attend Jewish religious
classes in a Jewish elementary school or by private
Because it was
necessary to train academically trained religious
teachers and rabbis, Europe and in the United States
offered special seminars for this purpose. Except
for the school in Budapest these seminars had
originated from own and private initiative and
covered its contributions from donations. Thus, e.g.
professor Dr. Alexander Haindorf founded the
Marks-Haindorfsche endowment in 1825 to educate
teachers and support craftworks among the Jews. This
seminar was a reformatory as well as a teaching
institution. On 9/13/1824 there was a decree of the
Cologne head of government which initiated that all
Jewish children who don’t visited a Jewish
municipality had to take part in classes of
Christian schools (§§ 8-11). In the small
municipality of Zündorf the children had to take
part in the first religious classes in pre-school
age already. This probably took place in their
family circle and at the age of five years there
were Bible-classes as well.
In 1886 the office of
mayor in Wahn and Heumar granted the costs for the
religious classes for the Jewishs children Zündorf.
With reference to the allowed aid for the Jewish
children for the religious classes, a proposal for
aid for Protestant children’s classes was made in
1895, because the Protestant church wasn’t able to
and didn’t want to pay for those expenses. A
proposal, made by the chief of synagogue
municipality in Zündorf was rejected, because the
least number of twelve pupils had not been reached.
In 1911 another
application was made and granted; the aid amounted
to 60 Reichsmark.
Obviously many members of the Jewish municipality in
Zündorf weren't wealthy. Out of 26 parishioners only
five were able to pay their contribution to the cult
costs; interest was often remitted or lowered; widow
Aaron Cahn from Niederzündorf and Sara Moses
received 3.00 RM from the fund for the poor.